These lemon bar cupcakes were served at our Mardi Gras New Orleans theme party this weekend. The recipe came from Real Mom Kitchen and we loved the idea and how the color yellow fit our Mardi Gras theme. I’ve always loved the lemon bars my grandma made for me as a child and thought these lemon bar cupcakes would be fun to try. If I recall correctly, she used a box of Sunkist Lemon bars and added powder sugar after they cooled off. My patience was always tested as I wanted to eat them straight from the oven. These lemon bar cupcakes are zesty and full of lemon flavor…both parents and kids loved them at our party.Tomorrow I will be posting our Mardi Gras King Cake cupcakes that are inspired from the New Orleans King cake recipe.
Lemon Bar Cupcake Recipe (makes 2 dozen cupcakes):
1 box of your favorite lemon cake mix
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
1 small package lemon instant pudding
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients and mix together for several minutes.
4. Lemon bar batter will be fairly thick in consistency.
Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. When you remove the cupcakes to cool, you might notice that the cupcakes are indented in the middle. This can be smoothed out when you add your lemon bar buttercream frosting.
Lemon Bar buttercream frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) soft butter
6-8 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (peel)
1. Use a large mixing bowl and add soft butter.
2. Add 4 cups of sugar
3. Add lemon juice and the zest (peel).
4. Beat until smooth and creamy.
5. Gradually add the remaining sugar (1 cup at a time) until icing is thick enough to spread over lemon bar cupcakes.
6. Store at room temperature.
If you are a fan of traditional lemon bars, you will love this cupcake recipe.